Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Adventures in Homebrewing: Brown Ale Recipe

I was planning on brewing a red ale for the holiday season but then The Draught Horse came along with another homebrew competition so I decided to put together a brown ale that I could enter. I wanted something that could be sessionable but also fully flavored. What I came up with is a bit of an English-American hybrid:

 


Grains
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lb Biscuit Malt
0.25 lb U.K. Chocolate Malt
LME
6.6 lb Muntons Amber
Hops
1 oz U.K. Kent Goldings (bittering)
1 oz Fuggles (finishing)
Yeast
White Labs - Pacific Ale




I was going to go with an English yeast strain but decided to go with this Pacific to accentuate the malts a little more.

I'm going to make this a coffee-brown ale. I've been reading up on using coffee and I will probably end up doing a cold extract into the secondary, just need to figure out the specifics on that process.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to name this one though, if you have any ideas I'm all ears. They are judging the beers on appearance, drinkability, taste, body, smell, concept, and NAME so it's gotta be a good one!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment