Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Taste Taste: Southern Tier Pumking





Pumking
Southern Tier Brewing Company
Lakewood, NY, USA
Pumpkin Ale
9.00% ABV
Bottle





Working at The Craft Beer Outlet gave me some real insight into just how much people LOVE this beer. It has earned a legendary status in the craft beer world and people go just a little crazy for it. I was lucky enough to snag two bottles of Pumking this season, employee perks. I had this last year and remembered loving it so I was excited to have these in my fridge.

Pumking pours a beautiful hazy orange with a creamy head that has decent retention given the higher ABV. It really is an amazing color when you hold your glass up to the light. Rich aroma full of pumpkin pie spices. This is possibly the most unique tasting pumpkin ale out there, it really is liquid pumpkin pie. The nutmeg and cinnamon really shine through accompanied by a strong vanilla flavor. It is slick on the tongue and takes some time to really comprehend what your taste buds are getting. There is some sweetness here with just a hint of alcohol that warms you up. After a while I found it to be almost too much, I wish I had been sharing it this time around. It is still up there as one of the best pumpkin ales around but the unique and strong flavor did become a bit off-putting for me. I prefer a spicier pumpkin rather than something this sweet. Still...Pumking is rather tasty and something to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment