Thursday, September 16, 2010

Adventures in Homebrewing: Pumpkin Ale Recipe Finalized

I finally got my ingredients together for my upcoming and currently untitled pumpkin ale today. I went to see Joe at Princeton Homebrew with my recipe which he said seemed like it would work. Seeing how I had never put together my own recipe I was pleasantly surprised he didn't suggest any changes. After a little reading and mixing of some of my favorite pumpkin recipes I ended up with this:

Grains
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lb Carapils Malt 20L
LME
6.6 lb Muntons Amber
Hops
2 oz Hallertauer (bittering)
1 oz Fuggles (finishing)
Yeast
1 pack Nottingham Brewer's Dry Yeast
Misc.
4-5 lb pumpkin puree
2 whole cinnamon sticks
0.5 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
0.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup roasted pecans


 
The pecans were the one thing that came out of left field and I am a little nervous about that addition but I figured that experimenting is what this all about. I'm planning on brewing this early next week and giving it plenty of time to mellow out before Thanksgiving which will give me a bunch of relatives to test it on.

And like I said, this brew is currently unnamed. I have a few ideas floating around but welcome any suggestions!

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, looks good. Tim and I are thinking of trying your recipe and modifying it slightly. Would be fun to taste them side by side. Will link my blog to your blog. Good luck. Did Doug let you know about the Zane Lamprey online beer magazine. YOu would be a great writer for it.
    Heather Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a great experiment! Let me know if you guys end up brewing it. Doug did mention Zane's blog, I had actually already sent them an email and am waiting to hear back from them. Thanks for thinking of me and reading this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to place an advanced order to purchase a six pack please. I'll see if I can brainstorm any viable names for you in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool man, sounds tasty! I bought a bunch of Heavy Seas bourbon -bal imperial pumpkin ale today... pumpkin beers are the best!

    ReplyDelete