Thursday, April 21, 2011

Adventures in Homebrewing: Dunkelweizen

I feel like I've been pretty busy lately but with what I can't quite figure out.

Either way, it is yet again time to brew! The Draught Horse is holding their next homebrew contest during Philly Beer Week so I wanted to make sure I had something to enter and as always, it's going to be a close call. This competition is all wheat beers so after toying with the idea of a lighter weisse with some lemongrass I ended up deciding to brew a dunkelweizen instead. I want to brew a classic style and not mess with it too much at all so I came up with what seems like a pretty faithful recipe.

As always I took my notes over to Joe at Princeton Homebrew who, in between telling me all about the colonoscopy he had had earlier that morning, gave me some helpful tips and recommendations. He also convinced me to swap out my original choice of yeast for his last vile of White Labs' Platinum Bavarian Weizen strain which he got me very excited about. Here's what I'm going with:

Malts & Fermentables
3 lb - Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
2 lb - Munton's Plain Wheat DME
1/2 lb - Weyerman Carawheat 60L
1/2 lb - Briess Caracrystal 45L
1/4 lb - Weyerman Chocolate Wheat 500L

Hops
1 oz - Hallertau pellets
1/2 oz - Tettnang pellets

Yeast
White Labs - WLP351 - Platinum Bavavarian Weizen

I'm itching to brew this one but it will have to wait until early next week.
If all goes according to plan this will be great to have on hand as the weather warms up.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment