Thursday, April 28, 2011

Adventures in Homebrewing: Done With Dunkel

Another brewday has come and gone.

My dunkelweizen was a really straight forward and simple recipe so there was only so much I could screw up. We've had some awesome weather here lately so I was able to put some music on and open up some windows, not a bad day for brewing at all. Unlike the last time I brewed, I DID NOT have a whole growler of Nugget Nectar by my side which kept things a little more clear. Everything went as smoothly as it could have, I felt like a real efficient brewer! This was only my second time using the wort chiller that I got for Christmas and I must say that is my favorite homebrewing tool. Waiting for wort to cool was probably the most tedious part of the process for me and I love being able to get that done so much quicker, not only for my own impatience but for the beer's sake as well.

It was a pretty short brewday and with an easy clean up. Nothing too exciting to report. Until I woke up.

As I was getting ready to head off to work this morning I took a peek at my carboy, hoping to hear the glub-glub of the blow-off tube. I was quite pleased to hear that reassuring sound but I flicked on the light to find the tube and jar full of krausen which was growing quite rapidly. I can't imagine what the scene would have been without a blow-off tube. This yeast is having an absolute field day in there, without a doubt the most aggressive fermentation I've seen myself. I think some clever person should create a fermentation screensaver because I find myself just staring at my carboy in wonderment. I switched out the mason jar for a big bucket and it's still going strong as I type. The OG on this batch was a little lower than I was hoping for but there's not much I can do about that now, I'm still very excited to see how this one turns out. I'm toying with the idea of putting together an obnoxiously hopped IPA just for my own amusement and enjoyment but I guess I should just be focusing on this batch for now.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment