Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year. More Beer.

While I did plenty of drinking over the holidays, I barely had anytime to actually write about it here. Now that things have settled down I hope to be able to make more frequent updates for my two or three avid readers.

2010 was a great year for beer and definitely a great year for my tastebuds and palette. Looking back, I wish I could recall each and every new brew that I tried over the year but of course that couldn't happen. This year, however, I'm going to try my damndest to do so. I plan on writing down every beer that I have in 2011 except for any repeats. So if you are out with me at any point make sure I jot that new brew down!


I started off 2011 at midnight by popping open my bottle of Samuel Adams & Weihenstephan's coveted Infinium. Now I realize I probably should have opened this first with an untainted palette because I was already pretty drunk by midnight but even so...I wasn't all that thrilled with this "revolutionary" collaboration. Sure it was different but in this case it wasn't a good thing. I didn't find the flavors to be too appealing or work together in a really enjoyable manner. There was a sweetness upfront followed up with a strange dryness and yeasty flavors. I have to admit that this was a bit of chore to get through even though I was trying to share as much as I could. The 10.3% ABV didn't help me too much either. I wanted to start the new year off with a bang but have to admit that I was let down by Infinium.

But that's the risk of trying new things isn't it? Sometimes these big hyped up beers aren't anything special but every now and then you get something worthwhile (I'm looking at you Dark Intrigue).

So cheers to the new year and more beer!

1 comment:

  1. It's about time for a new post jeeeez. Nice picture, the bottle is super pretty too bad the beer isn't better. I wish someone would come visit and bring me some homebrews (I'm looking at you Kyle Park).

    ReplyDelete