Monday, January 24, 2011

Adventures in Homebrewing: Saison Brew Day


It was a brew day full of firsts. First time using my wort chiller, dry extract, a yeast smack pack, and I also realized that this was the first time I had brewed anything considered "light". I was certain that I would manage to screw something up but luckily it went pretty smoothly. The growler full of Nugget Nectar surely helped.


After an afternoon of work, I put on some of Senegal's own Orchestra Baobab on the iPod and got started with the grains. Once the boil got going I added the DME and the wort started to foam up very quickly which I guess (and hope) is normal.


Every time I brew my parents come into the kitchen and complain about the smell, this time my Mom decided that the house smelled like a wet dog which wasn't something I expected but she'll have to get over it for the time being.


Between the Hallertau, Saaz, mellegueta peopper, grapefruit and orange peel, and finally the honey (which I stirred in with the finishing hops) I thought it actually smelled great. It was definitely my most fragrant homebrew.


The saison yeast thrives in higher temperatures so I set up my fermenter in our extra bathroom that gets pretty hot but made sure it would stay that way with the help of a space heater. The anxiety I produce after brewing is really unhealthy but I can't help it until I start seeing some action from the blow-off tube. Luckily after I got home from work the next day the yeast had really started going to town, the tube was bubbling like mad and since this is a lighter brew I could really see it in the carboy. And there was much rejoicing.


I think I may have to drink a bit less while brewing next time because I forgot to take my damn gravity reading. Hydrometers and I just do not get along, something I should definitely work on. Woops.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment