Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Hulmeville's Glorious New Beer Garden

If you know anything about it me, you know I love myself some time at The Hulmeville Inn.


Simply put, it is the best damn bar in the area. I could go into a long essay about why that is but I'm not going to do that, if you are a respectable beer drinker who lives in vicinity then you already know why the Hulmeville is the bee's knees. Somehow though, owner Jeff Lavin and gang have made me fall into an even deeper love affair with the historic drinkery with the opening of their brand spanking new beer garden.


Without much fan-fare and after a couple delays, the Hulmeville's beer garden opened this past Saturday where Meridith and I were the first official patrons. With an all new grilled food menu and an impressive list of over 50 canned beers, the beer garden offers an entirely new experience for fans of the Bucks County classic. This will be a great change of pace from the dark and smokey innards of the Hulmeville which I love...but sometimes you just want to be outside. Once summer hits I can see myself spending quite a bit of time at one of the eight or so tables out-back amongst the fountains and tiki torches. It's going to be hard to pull myself away from this awesome addition.


Matt, the Hulmeville's longtime cook, had been teasing me with hints at the garden's new menu and it did not disappoint. On Saturday we started off with the chips and salsa which was made with Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA which just happens to be one of my favorite IPA's around. As I browsed the menu, the grilled wings with Weyerbacher Insanity BBQ sauce was the obvious choice for my meal they were as delicious as they sound...especially paired with a Tallgrass Oasis. The girlfriend opted for the grilled chicken sandwich and an Avery White Rascal, admirable and something I will most likely be ordering myself. The rest of the menu looks quite tasty as well and I can't wait to give the rest of the new items a shot myself.


There was a pin of Sly Fox's Phoenix Pale Ale tapped in celebration of the garden's opening and was free while it lasted, what more did I need? The crew at the Hulmeville have really put a lot of effort into the beer garden and it shows. It is a must for any lover of craft beer. There is one thing that is a bit of a shame, as of now you will only be able to order from the list of cans and NOT from the 20 or so rotating taps inside which are often why I end up there in the first place. I suppose I'll be able to deal but perhaps they'll allow drafts if you use a plastic cup, we shall see.

The staff was equipped with iPone credit card swipers that sent a copy of your bill to your phone immediately, quite high tech for the down and dirty likes of the Hulmeville. It was kind of amusing to see Bruce, usually found yelling behind the bar, outside in the sun acting as concierge/waiter. They've pulled out all the stops folks. The beer garden will be open Thursday through Sunday for your outdoor drinking pleasure.

Get there...now...that is all.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment